Labels

slider

Recent

Breaking News

Popular Posts

Navigation

Business Casual

Hey y'all! When this post goes live I hope I will be furiously hemming away at the Errand #17 skirts. But now, as I'm editing these pictures and avoiding going to bed because it means morning is coming, I have some thoughts to share about being a young lady in business for herself. 

First, I LOVE IT. Last night I attended a small group meeting with friends from church on how to create a business plan and how important that document is. We covered a lot of ground, the men discussing everything from LLC vs C Corp to advisory boards and 5 year plans. My head was spinning with so many ideas/to-dos/plans that I could hardly sleep and when I finally did I had a notebook of lists beside my head. I love creative thinking. Enterprise. Hustle. 

I love being a Christian in business, having the potential to minister to people through economic connections. And being able to provide resources (both in eBooks and skirts right now) for women to encourage them in their Christian walk? Pretty awesome. 

 But, honestly, it's really, really hard sometimes. Not just the workload, although that is a burden. The stress of the numbers, the decision making that falls on your shoulders, the prioritizing and the constant pressure... that's the challenge. I was not prepared for the enormous learning curve (I expected a hill, not the Alps) or the cross-eyed feeling that comes when taxes eat your bank account and there are invoices for supplies coming in.

Just like any new uncomfortable experience or physical challenge, I'm learning and growing. Learning to breathe deep while I pace for hours thinking and praying through tough decisions instead of holding my breath. Learning that taxes bite hard. Learning that bookkeeping is more important than sleep. Learning that when people who have gone before you in this entrepreneur thing suggest making a business plan, you should probably do it before you jump in head-first. 

I'm stressed, but blessed. This is a season of stretching and failing, jumping and gaining. 
I'm telling myself this after I spent two days figuring out self-employment taxes for the first time.
After two weeks of sleeping at the office so I can spend every moment hemming skirts. 
On the eve of a 12 hour trip to the factory where I really really really hope they have skirts in the right sizes for me and not 5" too big. 
And I'm sharing here because I know you girls have got my back and are rooting for me. 

That knowledge (and Honeycomb cereal) is what's keeping me going. 

This is the outfit I wore to that meeting the other night. I wanted something nice and classy, but casual because I knew there'd be guys with muddy jeans there. I had about 4 minutes to get ready and I was SO EXCITED to pair this combo up. I've had this sequin + sweatshirt knit/drawstring shirt for most of the winter hoping I'd find something to match with it. I tried camo and denim, but neither worked with the busy front. It also isn't very form-fitting, so my broomstick brown skirts also didn't work. I'm so glad I threw this brown skirt into my ThredUP cart at the last minute when I bought my new spring items and ahhh it's my new favorite. It fits perfectly, doesn't need ironed, doesn't show awkward lines, and is so comfortable. And goes with this fabulous shiiiiiirt. :D 

My shoes I bought from ThredUP last summer but didn't wear very often because I felt like the ankle strap made my legs look shorter. With a maxi skirt they're perfect because the ankle strap keeps my foot connected to the shoe so the hem of the skirt doesn't get stepped on. ;) The slight heel also helped make me feel less awkward standing around a bunch of 6' guys and the bronze accent complimented the sequins perfectly. 

Lol, I know nobody else would notice all these details, but the joy of throwing on an outfit that just works is pretty great. 

And heeeeey, if starting a fashion line is something you're interested in (whether home-produced or factory-made), consider joining me at the Modest Fashion Guild conference this July in Austin, TX! :) Visit ModestFashionGuild.org for more info.

// outfit details //
Shirt: ThredUP
Skirt: ThredUP
Shoes: ThredUP
Earrings: Gift 
Necklace: Groupon, $10
Purse: Just Fab: $40

Well, I'm going to schedule this post now and head to bed because 3:30 am is fast approaching. How do you cope with stress? Have a wardrobe success from this week you'd like to squeal about? I'd love to hear! 

Share
Banner

latestladiesfashion.com

Post A Comment:

0 comments: