Labels

slider

Recent

Breaking News

Popular Posts

Navigation

How To | Build A Modest Wardrobe for Under $300

(Without relying on the thrift store!)

Hey y'all! I hope you are prepared to be inspired! I get asked ALL the time how to build a modest wardrobe from scratch on a budget, so I am here today to finally answer! Whether you feel like your already-modest wardrobe is missing something or you are looking to transition your conventional wardrobe into a more conservative one, I hope you find this post helpful.

Below, I assume that your house burned down and you're starting a new wardrobe from scratch. I really hope that's not anyone's actual scenario, but this should be a way to get you started with modest basics. :)


First, invest in some layering pieces that can help turn immodest tops into wearable ones. Camisoles and Halftees are perfect for this. I love Forever21's Basic Scoop Neck Cami's, especially because of their price.

Camis:

1 white, 1 black, 1 brown, 1 gray, 1 of your favorite color
$1.80 from Forever21
x5 = ~$10 

Halftee:

I love the black Cap Sleeve Halftee as a starter because it's just so versatile, especially with dresses. But if you wear a lot more brown than black, you should consider getting a brown one. :)
$18.99 from Halftee.com (even cheaper if you use this link for 20% off your first purchase!)
x1 = $18.99

Slips:

This is an often-forgotten-but-REALLY-essential item in the classy lady's wardrobe. I recommend having a short above-the-knee slip and a long, maxi-skirt length one. If you wear a lot of skirts that are "tea" length, then you'll need one that works with those. I have had great success finding slips at the thrift store for pennies, but if you'd like to buy them new, Sears seems to always have them. If you hit a sale, I think you could easily pick up two within this budget.
$6 from Sears
x2= $12

Leggings:

Perfect for layering under skirts for warmth and extra coverage for shorter skirts, I looove Capri length leggings. Black or Navy blue is my choice.
$4.50 from Forever 21
x1 =$4.50 


Tops: 

Depending on your body type, personal style, and location, these types of shirts are flexible. The styles listed are ones that I have found useful for my own wardrobe and are classic basics that allow for a lot of mixing and matching.

Striped T-Shirt:
These are so universally flattering and stylish. I personally go for one that doesn't have a lot of contrast (aka not black and white or red and white) but if you have a more eccentric personality, go for it. :)
~$7 on sale from JCPenny's, Sears, Kohl's, Target
If your budget allows, I HIGHLY recommend Sweet Salt Clothing's Striped Half Sleeve. Best shirt ever, and honestly a great deal at $20.99

Solid Shirt in your Color:
Think about what colors you look really good in. Does blue bring out your eyes, or red your rosy cheeks? Select a shirt that fits you well and isn't too flowy so that it works with skirts.
~$10 on sale from department stores

Ruffled Button-Up:
Three weeks ago I finally threw away the shirt that I wore at least once a week for all of my modest teenage years. (Click here for a super old post with pictures!) It was plaid, had a ribbon belt, and I felt awesome in it. It was fancy enough to wear to church, but also easily transitioned for casual wear. Everyone needs a shirt like that.
~$10 with clearance or sales

Tunic Top:
If you plan on continuing to wear jeans, I love tunic tops for feeling modest in them. My favorite tops are high-waisted and skim your hips without too much bulk. These are great for working in, because you don't have to worry about your shirt coming up when you bend over. I didn't include jeans in this list because I assume everyone, modest or not, has those. :) If you want to do outside work in this top, prints or durable knit is great for not showing dirt. But if you don't do a lot of dirty work, there are some gorgeous feminine tunic tops in whites and creams and lovely light prints that would be adorable to wear with darkwash jeans.
~$15 from GroopDealz, department stores, or fabric to make your own (its in my dreams to create another ebook for this)

V-Neck T-Shirt:
Depending on the accessories, this piece can go from church to babysitting to shopping. If keeping white clean just isn't your thing, I love a classic navy or black. Because you'll be layering one of your camis underneath, pick a color that goes with multiple cami colors and you can easily switch up the look of it. :)
~$5 on sale from Target, Walmart, or department stores

Plaid Button-Up:
Or striped, depending on if you are more "country" or "city". I like button-ups with a little bit of print because they hide stains easier. These are the perfect for layering with camis open for a casual look, buttoned for a classier look, and tied at your waist for a cleaning-day look!
~$12 on sale at Kohl's, JCPenny's, or Forever21

One More Shirt of Choice:
It's always good to leave a little bit of room in your budget for something to jump out at you from the rack. I always check clearance racks for t-shirts that have some designs on them,  dolman sleeve blouses, fun crochet tops, and other styles.
~$5 on clearance

Jackets: 

I have found two styles of jackets to be really helpful for pairing with clothing to make it more modest.

Long Flowy Cardigan:
Paired with a t-shirt and skirt for warmth in church, or worn with jeans to cover your rear and make them modest, this piece is so useful. I also call these flutter cardigans.
~$15 from Forever21, Rue, Ross, Target, or other department stores

Black Half-Cardigan:
I don't like the look of a bolero or shrug with tops/dresses, but a simple black cardigan that ends at your elbows and hits at a good spot on your waist is invaluable. The black one I wear in a toooon of posts here on Fresh Modesty was actually a handmedown and is missing some buttons, but my sisters and I wear it at least twice a week. What I especially like about it is that it doesn't have to be buttoned to be slimming.
~$15 from Sears, Kohl's, or Forever 21

Skirts: 

These are the top 4 styles that I have found myself being super thankful I have in my closet lately.

Shorter, Slimming, Denim Skirt:
One of my favorites is from Ann Taylor that I found on ThredUP. This goes with all of the above tops (except the tunic) and is great for staying cool in the summer but looks great with boots for winter.
~$20 from Ann Taylor, Cato, or fabric to make your own

Long Denim Skirt with Pockets:
Have to plug my own design here and say I love the Errand #17 skirt!
$78.99 from FreshApparel.us (not yet available)

Knit Maxi Skirt:
Choose a print that suits you or stick with plain for more versatility. I love knit maxi skirts for summer or winter.
~$20 on sale

Long Black Dress Skirt:
I probably dress up for church and concerts and funerals more than the average 21 year old, but having a go-to skirt for these occasions takes so much stress off. I love light weight black fabric, but also love the black skirts I made that are twill. My skirt is a length that skims the floor when I wear heels, so you'll want to remember to add footwear to your equation when buying one.
~$15 on sale from Sears, Ross, TJMaxx, Target, or Cato

Little Black Dress:

Every woman needs one of these, no ifs ands or buts. I like a knee length for my height, but if you're taller you could probably pull off a tea-length. Longer than that might be a little too formal for most occasions. :)
~$25, depending on what's left of your budget. ;) Target, Kohl's, and ThredUP have been my best sources for LBDs.

All of the prices and stores here are actual prices and locations that I have found these items at over the last several years. If you are up for the hunt and not in a hurry, you could probably get all of this for half the costs listed at thrift stores or on ThredUP. Although its sometimes crazy with all the people, I really recommend hitting stores around holidays and sales because you can get just so much more bang for your buck. :)

So according to my calculations, the total for everything but the LBD is $273.48. 

I hope this has helped you see in real terms what it looks like to build a wardrobe that you can feel confident in. Knowing where to invest and where to look for cheaper items is a huge part of budgeting and being wise in our purchases, so let me know if this was a help!

Do you think this is a good place to start? What would you switch up to make this work for you? Have you had to build a wardrobe from scratch?
Share
Banner

latestladiesfashion.com

Post A Comment:

0 comments: