Labels

slider

Recent

Breaking News

Popular Posts

Navigation

Archives // How To Wear Hats

Hey y'all! Several commenters on my last post asked if I had any tips for how to make hats flattering. Well, I did a post on this very topic nearly exactly 5 years ago here on Fresh Modesty, so I've decided to re-post it below in all of it's 17-year-old-me glory. :) I have more tips I can share in the future about specific styles, but these are the basic ones. Enjoy! 

~~~~

I love hats. Totally, totally love them. But I've heard and seen that some people have a hard time getting a hat to look good on them. :D I've only met one person in my life who truly does not look good in any of my hats. And that's my mom. :P I'm here to share some hat-wearing tips with y'all today. I think 99.9% of people look good in hats... if they know how to wear em. :)

These pictures were taken back in early November [2009] between my brother being born and our family moving, hence the cluttered background. Thank goodness for SLR's! :D

This is Rachel. You've met her before. She took all these pictures. :)
[yes, THE Rachel Clarke. Here is her website.]

How NOT to wear a beret. Mushroom looks are bad. Instead, lean it off to one side or the other and flop it a bit.
Like this.

Another tip is not to have your hair pouffy or wider at the bottom than your hat is on top. Or, if it is pouffyish, add interest to it by curling bits here and there or all out curls or straighten it. Or just use hairspray to make it peicer. Whichever you choose, don't let your hair look like a solid mass of brown or blonde. :)

This hat isn't terribly flattering on me. See how my hair looks wider than the hat? That's part of the problem. The other problem is that the crown of the hat is slouched backwards. When I wear this hat, I push the crown forwards over the brim a bit so it doesn't look too small.

Pretty, plain angora hat. With the furryness of it, I have to make sure that my hair is slimming, or else it looks frumpy. :)

Adding a sleek black ribbon on the side or front works as well.


Here's another unflattering one. These hats look good on my sisters, but not on me. :) Again, it's the hair wider than the crown.

This is slightly better, but isn't terribly cute. The bright green ribbon brings attention to itself, giving more "weight" to the small black hat.


If your hair just won't cooperate, try wrangling it into braids.

And its slimming sometimes. :) Leaving random short curls out of your braids can be really cute.

I got these pieces of hair to be shorter by pulling the front of my hair into a pouf and then curling it. It also kept the annoying hair in front out of my face. :D

Wasn't my clothing-storage system elaborate? :P
This style is really cute for ice skating for winter or with a felt beret for fall.

 Remember this hat wasn't so flattering? Well, with braids, it is!

 So is this one! Amazing, isn't it? ;)

 Now this hat is just like the pink angora one, except the fuzzies are a little shorter. We pinned up one side of it to give it more interest. Facing forward it reminds me of Paddington... (would be cute with rainboots and bright yellow rain coat ;))

 But on the side it's much classier. Unless you make that face. :P
We usually wear it on the side.

 Lest you think these hats only work on me, here is my sister Emma. Her hair is on the pouffy side.

But its still cute. :) braids may help. She actually usually braids her hair when she wears hats.


 Again, no mushrooms, please.



We curled parts of her hair to give more definition and it helped. :)

Don't you love hats? Was this helpful?

~~~~
Hehe, funny how much can change in half a decade. 
Share
Banner

latestladiesfashion.com

Post A Comment:

0 comments: