Labels

slider

Recent

Breaking News

Popular Posts

Navigation

The 5 Things Currently Influencing My Style

Hey y'all! I'm not sure if it's my upcoming 23rd birthday, the encouragement I received at the Modest Fashion Guild, watching The True Cost, or a combination of all three, but I have been seriously evaluating, purging, and researching my wardrobe recently in a way that I never have before.

(I love this painting by Pino Daeni, since I have sisters and two blonde-headed brothers)

 I wanted to spend a minute informally articulating 5 things that are currently influencing how I am curating my closet:

  1. Easy-to-wear: I'm done with the days of safety-pinning my clothes into place so they don't shift awkwardly. I'm done with pouffy tiered skirts, stretching out shirts, heels that squeak. Life is too short to hold on to mediocre clothing or items that don't make you feel awesome. 
  2. Ethical: I am absolutely appalled at the (albeit limited) research I've done into how clothing can be sold for so little at places like Forever 21, H&M, and Gap. After spending most of my spring and summer providing skirts for women, I've realized just how much work it is to create a garment. A factory owner in The True Cost was speaking about working with companies who wanted items cheaper and cheaper and he said something along the lines of "There are only so many places you can cut costs to make a garment for $3, and so you end up taking it out of the workers' pay." I know this first hand as I'm barely breaking even on the Errand #17 skirt... and I'm certainly not charging $3/item. I will not be buying new from any non-ethically-sourced companies anymore; instead opting for second-hand or smaller companies who have a passion for better practices in the fashion industry.
  3. Looking my age: Now that I'm closer to 30 than 13, I'm deliberately evaluating certain styles/prints/hairdos/ensembles in order to appear less juvenile. This is a little tricky as a stay-at-home daughter (still with blonde hair and freckles) since I'm not needing to dress up for a corporate job and because I'm not doing that whole "you're an adult now show some skin to prove it" thing. 
  4. Show that I know what I'm talking about: Along the lines of looking my age, I'm also keenly aware of the fact that there are a lot of people watching me. Blog readers, girls at church, the men at the hardware store-- whether I'm comfortable with it or not, what I'm wearing says something. As a business owner, church-goer, and blogger, I should look professional, presentable, and personable at all times. I've definitely been slipping in this area the past two years since I've been sick and fatigued, but that is no excuse. [have to be honest though-- I spent all day yesterday in a t-shirt and yoga pants, praying for the strength to shower]
  5. Classy: I feel like the genuine mid-40s southern woman has exactly the poise I would like to see in myself. Just enough jewelry, just enough confidence, just enough care, just enough educated simplicity, just enough posture, just enough hair pouf that you don't necessarily notice it in the moment, but it stays in the back of your brain all day long. Maybe it goes against the "A lady never tells" southern belle rule to reveal this aim of mine, but I have to be candid with you, my dear reader. 
More than ever, I want to be deliberate. I'm tired of too many clothes, too many choices, so much variety that I don't have a "look". I'm ready to sincerely simplify. I don't expect anyone else to share these "influences"... this is just what's personally affecting me right now. :) 

My brain has been explooooding the last few weeks with thoughts, dreams, and heavy heart issues that I hope to share with you over time. I would love to hear what things you've been learning about or inspired by lately that are showing in your wardrobe! 
Share
Banner

latestladiesfashion.com

Post A Comment:

0 comments: